Thursday, January 11, 2007

What an endeavour

Been without posts for a while. I can explain, really. If while means 'two days', anyway.

Basically, I am trying to make good on my promise to expose other people, as well as myself, to new and exciting music - thusly, I'm going to try and listen to every piece of music on my computer. That will be quite a challenge. It will, however, give me a lot of exposure to good music I'm sure I have - right now, I haven't even hit the 'A's, but all things in time.

I've finished a review for a local paper of the new Mindless Self Indulgence album, which I'll be posting tomorrow - remember it's written from a reporting stance, so might be slightly different in tone and voice. Their new album, in case anyone missed it, is called Another Mindless Rip-Off. They only pressed 15,000 copies and distributed them wholly at Hot Topic stores (which, in my opinion, makes no sense for MSI, but whatever). I didn't manage to get a hard-copy, but thanks to the mystery of acquiring files magically, I was able to give it a listen. You'll get my full on opinion tomorrow, as well as some thoughts outside my review - there are some things I can't just come out and say in the paper, after all. I'll be much more liberal outside of being a reporter.

As for tracks of the day, I suppose I do have one for today - a cover by Squirell Army (not bolded because I was frankly unable to find any evidence that they really exist) of a classic Mindless Self Indulgence song - I Hate Jimmy Page. The song is really short, only over a minute, and is a quiet acoustic cover. Oddly enough, I find it highly delightful, though perhaps something of a novelty. It's nice to be able to understand the lyrics - if it had been looped a bit longer, it would be a lovely track. It still is, just... not as lovely. In any casae, I felt it deserved notice - and though I might be blathering about MSI tracks tomorrow, this one is different both in feel, and in artist - if anyone knows anything about Squirell Army, let me know. I found the cover on a torrent that literally had everything to do with MSI... a lovely torrent. I'll link it some time. As for the acoustic wonderment cover by this obscure artist, the Megaupload link is here.

As for that song title - I really have nothing against Jimmy Page. I'm just not a fan, and I think that the early MSI ethos is most prevalent in this sentiment - making music is not about wanking solos or marketability or doing crazy shit that isn't music - it's about making music in the first place that's good to listen to. I'm not saying Page is guilty of forgetting that, but that's Little Jimmy's take on the matter, anyway. For the record, I don't drum as loud as Bonham did.

No comments:

Latest Played Tracks

5lash3r's Profile Page