Sunday, January 7, 2007

Don't get too excited!

Track of the day: Suicide Jag (Surgical V 2001 Mix by UCNX) by Chemlab (or UCNX, I guess).
I was hesitant to put this track up, but it's certainly a new take on an old favorite. I discovered it while perusing the internet looking for Chemlab related material - for those of you who haven't heard of them, they're a darkwave/industrial rock band from back when KMFDM used to be popular. >> I got into them when I first got hooked on industrial, along with artists such as DJ Sharpnel (really more of an anime-influenced happy-hardcore/gabber/speedcore thing) and Atari Teenage Riot - whom I am still a fan of to this day. I'd reccomend checking out any and all of them - especially ATR, which might well be contenders for song of the day some time in the future.

Chemlab classifys themselves as 'machine rock' - I think it's an apt descriptor. Their subject matter and overall sound exudes 'dark industrial', and to anyone who likes dark, electronic/guitar mashups, this is definitely a band to check out. I'd tie their music very closely to the idea of Cyberpunk - one of my favorite genre concepts, in literature, film, anime, music, etc... listening to some of their tunes, it's just so easy to envision dank streets, overrun with technology and human beings down on their luck, rain dripping from ancient street-lights... just a very cool imagery

As for the actual track, it's perhaps not as enticing as the original song was - but it's a new take, and as much as I'm motivated to expose people to new things, I would also like to expose myself to new things. The remix takes the track in a different, more dance oriented direction - less lyrics, less brooding dark vocals. I'll post the Megaupload link here, but if people ask me for the original, I'll gladly give it to them; via Megaupload or MSN or whatever. I'd highly reccomend it. To be one hundred percent frank, I think this is the weakest track of the week - I'm trying to decide whether I should take a week long hiatus to build up a buffer wherein I can actually listen to and appreciate a lot of my music. It's hard to do when I feel I have so few artists - really, it's just because the mainstream is off limits.

Now, as for the long awaited album and track of the week - I've decided I won't make it a point to select a track I've already done this week for 'track of the week', but it certainly looks like that's going to happen - because, as week is better than day, chances are a random track that doesn't make 'song of the day' won't make 'song of the week either'. After some deliberation, I will post the first song of the week - and, yes, album of the week. And, for anyone who's been reading and wondering - I will try to post the album for download! It depends on how big it is, I might have to do it in chunks - but I'm more than comitted, and it's no worry for me to post something for everyone to enjoy. Assuming people actually download it, anyway.

So that's all for now, but check back later to day for the first 'of the week' madness, and my decision on whether or not I'm going to take a week long break - track of the day is hard to do. Maybe I'll just take a couple days break, who knows. Ciao.

No comments:

Latest Played Tracks

5lash3r's Profile Page