Thursday, January 18, 2007

Many days, and no business comes to my hut...

Today's track of the day is Nevermind by The Birthday Massacre. For those of you who haven't heard of TBM (Another band by that abbreviation is The Black Mages, who earnestly are quite a bit better. That TBM is a Japanese power-metal band organized by the acclaimed composer of most of the music for the epic Final Fantasy video game franchise, Nobuo Uematsu. They play mostly covers of FF songs, and are really good - I highly reccomend checking them out)... um, I was talking about The Birthday Massacre? Right. They're a bit hard to describe - not genre defying by any means, just... different. They're post-retro industrial tinged synth featuring metal. They're not very dark... they have quite a light-hearted, yet emotional and sometimes morbid quality. Really, they should be every teenager's dream band, as they sound like their lyrics are just for them.

This song is off their 2005 album Violet, which I haven't listened to extensively - a couple tracks stick out as decent picks. This song is nothing that will blow your mind, but it felt so uplifting and yet bittersweet at the same time, I thought it deserved a spot. This group really has something going for them - besides that, they did a really nice remix of MSI's Straight To Video, which is my favorite off that remix album... I looked into them from that, actually, and while they're a tad too... light-hearted for me to normally consider, they are actually mellow in a decently fun way. I'd go see one of their shows for sure. In any case, this song tells a story that doesn't make great sense, but is kind of poetic, and again, very mellow yet fun. Megaupload link is
here. Also, "Nevermind" is one of my favorite words to hear in song since the album of the same name by Nirvana. Yes, I like them, big deal.

One of the things I will never understand about music is the genres... and more in that, why certain genres are so much more elitist than others. If you listen to metal or rock, or punk or country or pop, you never really get into fighting about genres... unless you are a hard-core metal head, in which case, that is a whole different story. One of the worst genres for in-fighting, however is industrial, and I find it just stupid. Any given site on the subject will have ten different opinions on what 'real' industrial is, and every other poster will get flamed for liking a 'pussy' band that isn't 'real' industrial. I understand that there are limits to what a style is and isn't, but I do not get why it is cool to be so picky about divergences within genres. Looking at it this way, Black Sabbath, Opeth, and Rhapsody of Fire are all metal, and sound completely different, and while people will come up with different words to describe all those kinds of metal, they are still that; metal. Now, when people say something like "Oh man I love Opeth they are good death metal" and some wanker comes in and says "YOU FAG OPETH ARE PROGRESSIVE DEATH METAL OMFG STFU GHEY"... well, I think I've already ranted about this before.

Arguing aside though, it amazes me how divergent genres can be. The above of metal is a good example. Industrial also serves to be further... looking comparitively at Skinny Puppy and the more danceable EBM influenced industrial sounds of Frontline Assembly and such like that, it's crazy how two of the 'classic' groups of industrial sound so different. Also, if I get anyone commenting about how FLA isn't real industrial, the world will explode from the irony.

Trying to keep the track buffer going. Haven't listened to near all of my music, but am moving up slowly to the B's. Still no traffic... enjoy the songs though.

No comments:

Latest Played Tracks

5lash3r's Profile Page