Monday, January 8, 2007

Obscure Crazy Name

For something a little different today, I've picked a track people might not have expected of me. I've also decided I'm going to take a break on 'song of the day' for a couple days, maybe the rest of the week after today, to make it so I can listen to my new music without worrying about finding something every day to list here. Today, however, I do have a track for everyone...

Song of the day: You Can Make Him Like You by The Hold Steady. I feel a bit odd posting about this one - I've never really listened to an Indie band before, but I got this album (Boys and Girls In America) on reccomendation from a music critic I respect highly - he inspired the creation of this blog - and I have to say, it's more appealing that I would have thought at first. The guitar on this album is really my favorite part - and something about it is just catchy. Though, it seems 90% of the songs are about girls, or getting high - a fair bit, more than the standard fare, anyway. I don't know why I picked this song from the album - the title just stood out, as well as the message of the song. I usually try to nominate tracks based on 'this is a good song' rather than 'I like this song', but maybe I made a little bit of an exception this time. I'm sure a lot of people out there have felt like they were on the other end of this - dispensable, ready to be cast away when they're no longer useful. And yet, I'm sure there are girls out there who feel like this too - so really, this song can speak to everyone. Megaupload link is here.

Indie rock is something I've never really given a look, but I think it's something I could put effort into checking out. It's really a whole new genre to expose myself to, and everyone else out there could do the same. The whole "I'll make music without caring if it's marketable" notion is wonderful, and I'm a huge proponent of the idea - but as for the "We're not allowed to be well known and still be good", I don't know. I avoid most main-stream music like the plague - not because it's popular, but because the bulk of popular music has no effort, thought, or real musicianship within. It's all about what's marketable. That's why within my scenes, I like some stuff that is popular - Rush, Dream Theater, Nirvana, Mindless Self Indulgence - I could go on for a while. None of those besides Nirvana are majorly popular (I'm not ashamed to admit that I like Kurt Cobain and his music), but they're all that kind of 'underground popular' that's just pretty cool.

I might not have a lot of time for daily posts - in the next couple months, I'm trying to work on learning Instrumedley by Dream Theater - quite a challenge! I want to perform it for a Battle of the Bands in March (maybe April), and I hope that if I practice every day I'll be able to do it. So far, having trouble finding a guitarist, but that should all get worked out eventually.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Philip. I don't really have anything to say about the music you talked about...because I'm me. But it seems like you know your stuff and your blog definately looks cool, if you want I'll take a new picture of you for it sometimes. Because you don't have facial hair anymore and such.

-Claire

Jas said...

Still have a hard time calling that indie, but all right.

By the way, have you checked out the Flaming Lips? Because they're pretty amusing, and lovable.

5lash3r said...

I've heard much about the Flaming Lips, suppose I should listen to them.

I take this group as indie on the authority of one J. Jacques, and he knows what he is talking about - he's the most indie person I've ever known to exist. Doesn't make it right, but it makes me believe him.

Latest Played Tracks

5lash3r's Profile Page