Friday, January 5, 2007

I almost covered this once

Track of the day: Mouths Like Sidewinder Missiles by The Fall of Troy. I tried to think of something I hadn't been obsessed with for a while, but I decided a couple of my buffered tracks were better left waiting.

I got into The Fall of Troy a while back... maybe half a year ago. I think I remember being linked to them off HORSE the Band. That was using Last.fm for those who haven't checked it out before. That's an amazing site... probably responsible for half my musical taste right now. Anyway. From what I can gather, this band used to be a lot more unpolished. I've mostly just listened to their latest release, Doppleganger, and there's not really anything I don't like. This track is just my own personal favorite from the album, in the hopes that conventional mainstream peeps won't pick up on what a great song it is until it's too late. The reason I like post-hardcore, is because herein we have crazy screaming, more so, screaming that you can actually understand - along with a very intoxicating brand of soft vocals, as well as crazy song structures, and awesome solos! The frontman of this band sings all that crazy stuff, as well as plays the guitar - and that's some talent, because the guitar in The Fall of Troy songs is pretty complex. There's just something about the little ascending/descending pattern in this song that I love, so I'm saying it's well worth a listen. Megaupload link is here. Note that there is an earlier version of this song, and this one is the re-record for their latest album. I must admit that the earlier one has a certain unpolished charm to it - I would reccomend checking out this artist's earlier stuff before the album I posted, actually - but there are things happening in this re-master that just weren't in the original. It was a tough call, and I made it. I'm sure torrenting these discogs won't be hard to find though.


So I got flamed on my last.fm profile today - some scene (when did that become the retarded new adjective for kids trying to look cool?) kid no doubt, bitching at me about calling Alex Is On Fire (hahaha) screamo in one of my early posts. He failed to note that I later went on to credit them as helping post-hardcore into the mainstream... but apparently it's still cool to argue when you're uneducated and, furthermore, a wank. His point of contention that one of the bands I embellish on (Enter Shikari) is tagged as screamo on the site. Excuse me, when did I let other people decide the genre for what I was listening to? I could tag The Beatles as gaycore wrestle-metal (I heard that actually is a genre, kind of scary), but that doesn't make it right. Furthermore, I bet I have more extensive musical knowledge than some kid who can't even spell post-hardcore. I really shouldn't let people like this get under my skin, but stupidity itches like a disease, or something. The bad kind, with a really long name, like, five syllables.

Got a couple contenders for album of the week coming up. I'm wondering if it has to be something I've nominated a track from, or can it be completely random? I don't think I should be taking the album one lightly... a track is just a track, but an album... well, I don't have to finish that statement for the gist to pass across. I'm going to try to fill my track buffer with more things I've not listened to prior... always about exposing myself to new things.

I won't give away contenders for tomorrow, but I've mentioned one of them in the past, in one of my more complex and wordy posts... and the second contender (which I'm hesistant to post only because of its length and subject matter - if it were longer I would post in a second, I love it) is a cover of one of the artists on my 'essential artists' list. Not like anyone couldn't wait until tomorrow anyway.

No comments:

Latest Played Tracks

5lash3r's Profile Page