Wednesday, April 25, 2007

A never ending change of bizarre music links

It has been a while since I updated this old sucker, mostly due to lack of interest. However, I have been stumbling on too much good stuff lately to not share it.

I have noticed that in researching, listening, and interpretting music and musical artists, that if you look hard enough, a lot of stuff is connected. For example; one of my compositional idols is Mr. John Zorn, a phenomenally talented and prolific avant-garde saxophonist who was awarded the "MacArthur Genius Grant" in 2006 for his virtuoso playing and compositions which transcend genres (notable projects include Painkiller and one of my favorite jazz combos of all time, Naked City). Following that chain, we can come up with a lot of the interesting musical acts that I've been listening to lately.

-John Zorn has worked extensively with Japanese 'vocalist' Yamantaka (Yamatsuka) eYe, the frontman of the crazy Japanese group The Boredoms.

-John Zorn's record label was used for the first several releases of virtuoso guitarist (and all around weirdo) Buckethead.

-Buckethead has done some work and guest contributions with Les Claypool, and his band of note, Primus - the only band given their own genre tag. Awesome.

-Primus have toured with genre-bending funk-metal act Mr. Bungle - fronted and arranged by a Mr. Mike Patton, who has worked extensively with John Zorn, and eYe. (Also, another act to tour with Mr. Bungle - Incubus. >>;)

-Zorn, Patton, and eYe have all worked with with Masami Akita (aka Merzbow), one of the most prolific and notable noise 'music' producers in the world.

Which leads us all in a big circle - from that group I can find a lot more stuff. I can link Buckethead to Estradasphere (a genre defying instrumental group), and them to Liquid Tension Experiment, and them to Dream Theater - thus providing the methodology through which I came to acknowledge the existence of a lot of these artists. It's not always a straight line, I guess.

My reccomendation to people is to follow connections - you never know what kind of amazing stuff you might wind up with if you look for it.

Today's song is probably something people have heard a lot lately, mostly due to the fame of Guitar Hero 2 amongst... well, just in general. So that means people might know it. I could pick something less cliche', but these are just good songs, and I see no reason not to let people know they're around. Plus, I'm not yet familiar enough with Buckethead (or Primus, tomorrow) to show people other stuff. So deal.

Today's song of the day: Jordan by Buckethead. Enjoy. Link is Here.

No comments:

Latest Played Tracks

5lash3r's Profile Page