Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Ludicrously Talented Extra (Musical Project) - the Music of Liquid Tension Experiment

Just a little something to tide any readers over until I can make a more cohesive update - and, also, this song has snagged me, so it's worth sharing.

Just recently, I acquired Mike Portnoy's (of Dream Theater) instructional drumming video, Liquid Drum Theater, which is a walkthrough of a lot of popular songs from both DT, and from his side project (featuring DT members John Petrucci and Jordan Rudess) Liquid Tension Experiment. Basically, Mike was asked by record label Magna Carta to put together a progressive super group, and LTE was what he came up with. The group recorded two albums, each one in about the span of of a month or less - some improvised jams, others carefully planned out songs. Bass player Tony Levin (of note for his work with King Crimson) was also on board - and one of the jam tracks that happened on the first album is the one I'm posting today - meet Chris and Kevin's Excellent Adventure. Mostly, I'm giving it note because a bass playing friend and I are trying to learn it. Mostly, it is ludicrously complicated, even with the instructional video... but we persist nonetheless.

Basically, this is a two and a half minute jam between Mike and Tony, with Mike (of course) on drums, and Tony on chapman stick... there's some whistling involved too. It's a hard track to describe... basically, what it is, is a jam. You have to listen to it to experience it. Thusly, I'm not trying to learn it ad verbatim, but the framework. Anyway. Both the Liquid Tension Experiment albums (Liquid Tension Experiment 1 and 2) are worth checking out if you like a kind of more free-form, jazz influenced (yes, really) kind of progressive instrumental thing. There's even talks of a third album, maybe, but that's tentative. Anyway, Megaupload link is here.

Right now, music is sparse, but I'm trying to keep my ears open. Would help if I had more traffic - despite all my efforts, still none. Really bothersome. But more tracks later, if I can find 'em. Maybe even an artist. Rant. who knows.

No comments:

Latest Played Tracks

5lash3r's Profile Page