Sunday, March 4, 2007

Chiptunes aren't just 4 kids

Finally, a new upload post. Yes, it has been a while.

As I'm not one to be picky with the music I download (though that's soon to change as I run out of storage on my computer) I'm prone to get weird stuff here and there - and, often, I find myself liking it. In my search for a very hard to find musical artist the other day (of which I turned up nothing, still) I happened upon a very pleasant music community - and in turn, just recently, a phenomenal album which I felt it was appropriate to share. Mostly because it rocks my socks off.

The album in question is entitled FX3 and is by a composer working in solely 8-Bit instrumentation, by the name of Virt. He is part of a presence in an online community entitled 8-Bit Peoples, which I believe there will be a link to somewhere in this post. Oh, look, there it is.

The album in question is not for those willing to stop taking music seriously for a second. Once you get around the idea that it sounds like an old NES game, you can really enjoy it - or maybe even because of that very reason. The album is something of a tour through a fictional video game, and the titles of the tracks, as well as their sounds, truly do a perfect job of evoking the feeling one would get of playing through one of their favorite old adventure or RPG games.

The album is free for download track by track on the 8-Bit Peoples site, along with everything else the community has ever released, but since I'm uploading it for another reason anyway, I am posting a whole link to the album. Note that it's on Senspace and not Megaupload, as i usually do. This is for no particular reason, other than that the latter is starting to get on my nerves. The upload link is here.

Track picks that are personal favorites are Survivors, Bedtime Story, Visitor, and pretty much the whole album too. Those three in particular though.

Hopefully this brings out nostalgia in the best of you. Cheers.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

ah, I *love* chiptunes! I use 'em all the time for o'l Final Fantasy games, the Super Mario series, and of course, The Legend of Zelda. People get annoyed really quickly when you listen to 'em on portable speakers in public places.

Half of them quickly go home to play Mario, the other half call you a damn punk, or something.

Latest Played Tracks

5lash3r's Profile Page